In the Media
Amanda Gordon, director of Armchair Psychology Practice, is often in the media. She found her radio voice in the 1980s, speaking on behalf of the Queensland branch of the Australian Psychological Society during the International Year of the Family.
Since then, she has become an established name in Australia.
She is frequently heard on radio programmes around the nation, commenting on issues of public importance, giving advice on managing traumatic situations such as tsunamis, bushfires and floods, or responding to ‘talkback’.
She spent 11 years as the Psychologist on ABC Late Nights.
Print journalists also often seek comment from Amanda, and she has from time to time written opinion pieces for newspapers. Over the years, Amanda has been ‘Ask Amanda” for New Woman magazine, responded to readers questions in the Daily Telegraph and Good Medicine magazine.
Amanda Gordon has also been a regular commentator on psychological issues for television news and current affairs, and has been regularly invited onto Sunrise, Today Tonight, A Current Affair and various morning programmes.
For seven years, Amanda Gordon was spokesperson for the Australian Psychological Society. Her comments since the end of her Presidency in 2008 have represented only her own opinions. Those are consistent, however, with APS policy.
Health Centre TV
Should a couple see a psychologist before they get married?
Relationships: My partner is having an affair
How to deal with money when you’re in a relationship
What is postnatal depression?
Grief: When it can turn into depression
What is the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist?
Links to TV appearances, articles and media releases
- Today Tonight: 28 June 2013 Fighting for Faith (rights of grandparents vs parents)
- iVillage.com.au: 22 Oct 2012 Pay attention to your children, your teens,and your vulnerable adults
- Media Release: 29 Aug 2011 MR Detention centres fail to meet basic standards of mental health care
- ABC News: 29 Aug 2011 Mental health care ‘compromised’ by detention contracts
- The Canberra Times: 14 Aug 2011 Breaking Our Vows
- Women for Life, Days of our Lives Newsletter, Issue 13 ‘Helping Your Primary School Child through Peer Challenges’ p5
- Australian Science Media Centre: 12 Feb 2008 RAPID ROUNDUP: Apology to the stolen generation – experts respond
- The Morning Programme Interview, 2008
- Speech given by APS President, Amanda Gordon, at the opening of the 2007 Bendi Lango Art Exhibition
- Presidents from Around the World Gather to Discuss Perspectives on Psychology (2006)- APA Office of International Affairs
- Speech address by Major General Michael Jeffery, Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia who credited Amanda Gordon at the opening of the Australian Psychological Society’s inaugural Aboriginal art exhibition in 2006
- Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Recurrent Nonspecific Abdominal Pain in Children: An Analysis of Generalization, Maintenance, and Side Effects (1989)
Videos and Podcasts